Housing Choice Voucher Program - Moves with Continued Assistance and Voucher Portability

HUD regulations permit program participants to move with continued assistance to another unit within the PHA’s jurisdiction or to a unit outside the jurisdiction under Portability procedures.  The regulations also allow each housing authority the discretion to develop policies which define limitations and restrictions.  (KMHA Administration Plan)  

A tenant may move to a different unit with assistance if the lease for the current home has ended because the housing authority or landlord has terminated the contract, the owner has breached housing authority guidelines or by family request.

It is required that the tenant give a 30 day notice to move to the current landlord with a copy to Knox  Metropolitan Housing Authority so that a move voucher can be issued.  The housing authority is also required give homeowners a 30 day notice which means that payment will be made for the current home for the following month in which the notice is received.  For example, if a notice is received anytime in June, payment will be made to the current landlord for July and in a new home, August 1.  Moves are not allowed in the first year of a contract.  It is understood that there are circumstances that warrant a premature change and these situations will be handled on a case by case basis with the tenant, home owner and housing authority all involved in the resolution.   

Knox Metropolitan Housing Authority denies permission to move if the family is currently in violation of program obligations, owes the housing authority money or has moved within a twelve month period.  Some circumstances that may provide an exception to these are:  

-the family now needs accessible housing or reasonable accommodation for a family member  
-domestic violence has occurred in the household  
-relocation is necessary because of employment, health or education opportunities  

At the time that the notice to move is received a 60 day voucher will be issued to the family and a termination letter sent to the current landlord.  The tenant will return voucher paperwork to the housing authority and begin searching for a new home.  A Request for Tenancy form will be provided with the voucher paperwork so that the tenant can provide it to the new landlord.  The information on this form will allow for a rent calculation to be completed.  After the calculation is complete, an inspection will be scheduled and a contract completed.              

Knox Metropolitan Housing Authority
201A West High Street
Mount Vernon, Ohio 43050

Copyright © 2008-2013  ·  Knox Metropolitan Housing Authority  ·  All Rights Reserved

Website Design by:  www.nfolink.net